- To recognize the contribution of the great Indian Mathematician Srinivas Ramanujan in the field of mathematics.
- To recognize that mathematics permeates the world around us
- To appreciate the usefulness, power and beauty of mathematics
- To understand and be able to use the language, symbols and notation of mathematics.
- To develop mathematical curiosity and use inductive and deductive reasoning when solving problems.
- To become confident in using mathematics.
- To analyse and solve problems both in school and in real life situations
- To develop knowledge ,skills and attitudes necessary to persue further studies in mathematics
In India, the day December 22 has been declared as the National Mathematics Day.
The decision to designate the year 2012 as National Mathematics Year was announced by Dr Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India, during the inaugural ceremony of the celebrations to mark the 125th birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan held at the Madras University Centenary Auditorium on 26 February 2012. The Prime Minister also announced that December 22 would be celebrated as National Mathematics Day from 2012 onwards.
In Jaywant public school, the mathematics day was celebrated with great fervor. We had invited Mr. Khildar mathematics professor of polytechnic college and Dr Tripathi MCA Mathematics department as a chief guest.
The program began with Saraswati Vandan. Welcome and devotional song was sung by music teacher Mrs Bageshri madam. This was followed by a choir sung by standard 6th students. The program flow was smoothly anchored by Mrs. Arpita Kasture madam.
The program began with Importance of Mathematics in our day to day life. This was presented by Mrs. Sunita Dixit one of the maths teacher. The teacher gave importance of mathematics in a very simple language and giving many day to day examples. It was a interactive session. This was followed by A power point presentation of Ramanujans life history and his contribution in the field of mathematics. A very in depth knowledge was given by Mrs. Madhushree madam who is Maths teacher of JPS. Then a quiz program was conducted by both maths teahers Sunita mam and Madhushree mam. Four groups were made each consisting of four students. The groups were named Aryabhatta, Sridhara , Brahmagupta, Sushruta.
The questions and PowerPoint presentation was prepared personally by both teachers. It consisted of five rounds. Who am I round, Inserting symbols round, Passing round, Visual round and Rapid round. This program was very exciting for the students. Marks were given by two teachers Mrs. Vaishali mam and coordinator Mrs. Sharayu mam.
The quiz was followed by Sanskrit song and mean while judges announced the results. Certificates were given to winners. This was followed by a brief speech by honorable chief guests and finally few golden words by our principal madam. Finally the program ended by a vote of thanks given by our Mrs Parna mam.